creamy strawberry squaresrating:
From an old 'Woman's Weekly Summer Special'.
makes about 28
calaroies per square = 141 | fat per square = 8g
375g packet of ready-rolled puff pastry
milk for glasing
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
half a 375g jar or strawberry jam
250g strawberries, sliced
12 level TBS icing sugar
2 TBS water
- Pre-heat oven to 220C gas mark 7
- Unroll the patry and cut into 28 squares.
- Place the pastry quares on to two baking sheets and brush the tops with milk.
- Bake inthe centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden
- Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling racks to cool completely
- Whisk together the cream and athe vanilla essence until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Cut the squares in half so they are still squares but half as high (as if cutting a scone).
- Spread the bottom half with strawberry jam.
- Spread some cream on top of the jam and add a few slices of strawberries. Put the pastry lids on top.
- Make the icing: sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in sufficient water to maek a slightly runny icing.
- Spread athe icing over the top of the pastry squares and leav eto set.