brussels sprouts with bacon, orange and hazelnutsrating:
600g small, firm Brussels sprouts
100g bacon, roughly chopped
1 TBS water
1 TBS runny honey
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
zest of half an orange
pinch of chilli flakes
50g hazelnuts, roasted (or pine nuts)
- Put the orange zest, spices, garlic and honey into a small bowl.
- Trim the Brussels and cut in half through the root
- Heat a large saute pan and cook the bacon over a medium heat until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Fry the mushrooms, if using.
- Put the sprouts in the pan, cut side down, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the water and immediately put a lid on. Cook over a medium heat for three minutes or so untilt he sprouts are tender but still have some bite.
- Uncover and increase the heat.
- Add the honey/spice/orange mixture to the pan and toss to coat the sprouts. This should only take about a minute
- Add the bacon and hazelnuts and stir to combine. Serve.
I didn't have runny honey so used a firmer one, although it was not a very hard one. I mixed it with the garlic, orange and spices and left it near the pan to warm. I also didn't have chilli flakes so I used a little bit of chilli powder.
I served this with boiled potatoes which I tipped into the pan at the last minute.