stir-fried beef with chilli & basilrating:
From the June 2005 issue of the BBC Good Food Magazine. Recipe by Gizzi Erskine
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 sirloin steaks, about 300g each
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 peppers (mixture of red, green, yellow, whatever you prefer)
1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped
1 or 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 small knob of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
5 TBS oyster sauce
handful of basil leaves
salt and pepper
- Rub 1 TBS of the oil over teh steak snd season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle pan until it is smoking and cook the steaks for 2 to 4 minutes per side depending on how well done or how rare you like your steak. Setthem aside in a warm place to rest for five minutes then slice into thin strips.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a wok and cook the onion until it starts to soften.
- Add teh peppers, lemongrass, chilli and ginger to the onion and cook for a few more minutes so these ingredients soften.
- Add the oyster sauce and 1 TBS water and bring to the boil.
- Toss through the basil and the steak strips and serve immediately.
Per serving: 321 calories; 31g protein; 11g carbs; 17g fat (6g saturated fat); 2g fibre; 1g added sugar; 2.17g salt