chicken with brandy and apricotsrating:
THIS RECIPE IS TRUELY DELICIOUS AND FAB FOR A DINNER PARTY!
There are a lot of ingredients which may put you off but the preparation time is really only about 20 mins max and it is well worth the wait!
**Will need a casserole dish and a blender**
4-6 chicken breasts (boned or fillets, whichever you have to hand)
100g/4oz dried apricots
3 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp dry white wine or cider
1-2 tbsp brandy (optional but recommended!)
125g/4oz streaky bacon, chopped
100g/4oz mushrooms, chopped
125g/4oz onion, chopped
300ml chicken stock
salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
150ml single cream
1. Soak the apricots overnight in cold water (if they don't seem too dry this isn't that relevant!)
2. Dust the chicken with some flour. Melt 40g butter in a large frying pan and gently brown the chicken on all sides. Then place the chicken in a large casserole dish.
3. Add the wine/cider and brandy to the pan, bring to the boil, then pour over the chicken.
4. Melt 40g butter, fry the bacon, mushrooms and onion slowly together until the onion is soft and starting to brown. Blend them together and add in 3 tbsp flour and gradually stir in the stock. Season well, add the apricots and bay leaves.
5. Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover and cook in the over at 160°C/Gas mark 3 for about 1.5 hours, until tender. (I once cooked this at a friends house whose oven was way too hot and found it over cooked slightly so I'd recommend checking at at 1hr and then reducing the heat if needs be).
6. Once cooked remove the chicken from the casserole and discard the bay leaves. Add the cream to the sauce and season to taste.
7. And serve! Give each person a chicken breast and pour over some sauce and serve with whatever you choose (baked potatoes and carrots are my favourite!)
ENJOY AND PLEASE DO COMMENT!!