roasted tomato souprating:
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
1kg plum tomatoes, halved
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 fat cloves garlic, halved
2 small sprigs each fresh thyme and basil
1 tsp caster sugar
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock or water
2 semi-soft sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp barbecue sauce
Small clusters cherry tomatoes on the vine
Some small leaves fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 220C, Gas 7. Pour the oil into a roasting pan and heat until almost smoking. Carefully tip in the tomatoes, onion rings and garlic, then mix into the oil. Top with the herbs and sprinkle with sugar and seasoning.
2. Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice during roasting, until nicely caramelised.
3. Remove and scoop into a saucepan. Bring the stock to a rolling boil and pour into the pot. Return to a boil, add the semi-soft dried tomatoes with the barbecue sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the vegetables, reserving the stock, and blitz the solids until smooth, gradually adding the stock back in. For an extra smooth texture, rub the mixture through the back of a sieve with a ladle. Check the seasoning. Cool and chill.
5. For the garnish, heat a little olive oil in a frying pan. Snip the tomatoes on the vine into clusters of three or four and fry them, still on the vine, for about a minute.6. Reheat the soup to serve and pour into warmed cups or small bowls. Top each with a cluster of pan-fried cherry tomatoes and any pan juices drizzled over. Scatter with the basil leaves.